Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Astute Commentator

Upgrade SLX v7.0 & SQL 2000 to SLX v7.5.1 & SQL 2005

We are upgrading SalesLogix this weekend from SLX v7.0 & SQL 2000 to SLX v7.5.1 & SQL 2005.  As part of the upgrade, we are cutting new databases for all 175 of our remote users.  Just looking for input on whether or not I should attempt to cut multiple databases at one time?  Will that speed up the process or slow it down?  We will have 3 people cutting databases, each working from a different Admin Workstation computer (using same SLX Server & same SQL Server).  I plan on cutting the remote databases on the SQL Host.  Does anyone have any advice for me?  Thanks in advance!

Gold Super Contributor

Re: Upgrade SLX v7.0 & SQL 2000 to SLX v7.5.1 & SQL 2005

3 different people logged into 3 copies of the admin and cutting at the same time?.. sounds risky! In 10+ years of SalesLogix.. we have never done it that way.

Just have one logged in and que the remote(s) for cut in as large a batch as you can handle. You will be wanting to copy off (and zip) the sxds as soon as they complete.. and be sure to trash the ldf's so that you don't run out of drive space.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Bronze Super Contributor

I agree with Roberto. I will take it one step further and recommend that you do not open the admin more than once. It will end up causing problems.
Timmus Agersea
Black Moth CRM
Gold Super Contributor

;-)

.. yepper.. Timmy is spot on... you could setup admin "roles" and have individual's login as themselves (in wgadmin).. but cutting remotes is an area that can go very nasty.. very quickly.. and have "un-detected" errors. 

It's a one "user" process... always has been.. 

--

Astute Commentator

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but thank you so much for your advice.  I really appreciate it!  I guess I'd rather spend the extra time and make sure that the remote databases are cut correctly the 1st time.  I'm expecting that it will take forever to cut 175 databases, but I don't think there's any way around that... unless you have any more ideas?

Bronze Super Contributor

I am not sure how large your database is, dont know how much hardware you have, etc. so take this with a grain of salt but I think you will be pleasanlty suprised how fast remote databases are created in the newer versions of SalesLogix.

One thing that may speed things up is to create the remotes on the sql server so that the data is not being pulled across the network. As RJL mentioned you will want to keep an eye on the disk space and ensure you are moving the databases off the server and deleting the ldf files as you go.

Another thing to think through is how much data the remote users need. If you can use subscription rules to minimize the data you will have a win win situation - as the admin it will be less painful to support and your end users will see better performance with smaller databases.

Best of luck!
Timmus Agersea
Black Moth CRM
Gold Super Contributor

Timmus brings out a good point - having a copy of the admin on the SQL server and cutting there is the fastest way to do it. Just make sure the location where the cuts are going is shared out so that you can then grab the good stuff and delete the ldf's as you go along.

We have seen cuts go as quickly as less than 90 seconds (small db's of course). 

--

Astute Commentator

I have one more question, if you don't mind.  Do you recommend choosing the option to create the database on the SQL Host or to use a SQL Express instance?

Silver Super Contributor

Susan, definitely use SQL Host. And run it on the physical host - as you won't have to traverse network,
Astute Commentator

Thank you all so much for your advice and quick responses.  I really appreciate it, especially since my upgrade is scheduled to start in just a few hours (I'm sure glad I decided to post my question on here!!).   Wish me luck!