Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted

Terminal Server 2008 R2 and Sales Logix 7.2

I am trying to determine if SalesLogix 7.2 is supported on a W2K8 R2  Terminal Server. I have a call into Sage, but haven't heard back. I have seen posts from people who have run it on W2k3, but nothing on W2K8 R2. If someone is doing that would you please let me know (plus if it good, bad, or otherwise)

I have read the SalesLogix Implementation guide and the relevant part only talks about W2K3 (and the fact that you have to setup SLXSystem.exe as a service). I am trying to get confirmation  that it will work on W2K8 R2 before we spend time labbing it out.

Any pointers to  documentation on this or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul 

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 and Sales Logix 7.2

Paul, at this time R2 is not certified for SLX. In addition, when it is - suspect it will only be 7.5 or greater.

That said, I've run it on W2008R2 and all appears to work OK (same instructions for W2003 re: service etc) but I've not done any more intensive testing than just running it up. Given the new Aero interface - and especially if you are planning on 64bit - you'll need 7.5+ anyway.

Regards

Mike

Paul,

Have you been able to get it to work ?  I'm trying to deploy 7.2.2 via 2008 R2 remote desktop services.

Thanks,

Alex

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Alex,

Did you get your setup up and running okay? We have an issue opening email through SLX on the R2 server (more here: http://crm.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/saleslogix-l/re-issue-with-outlook-integration-...). If you have it running, can you tell me which, if any, hot fixes you've applied to 7.2?

sorry for delay answering but the answer is no, i run into DB connection issue and thats where i got side tracked.  Did you have any luck getting it to run?

At this i would be happy to get SLX 7.2.2 running on 2008 R2 x64 terminal services

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Alex,

Yes, we are actually running our production environment, 7.2.2 LAN,  on Server 2008 R2 (64 bit) on Citrix XenApp (requires 64 bit OS) with roaming profiles as a published app. 

The only problems we have had is with the Opportunity Snapshot window.  That is an embedded browser object and R2 just won't allow it to function. It renders fine, but all of the controls (pop-ups) are disabled. They are all browser scripts and those are disabled by R2.  We tried a  bunch of things to try to get it to work without luck.

In the end we used a kind of cludgy work-around.  It turns out that if you log into a XenApp Desktop session, whatever needs to be set in the user profile gets set. After that, we remove the XenApp desktop from the user, and the published app works just fine.  We weren't able to find the magic setting, and R2 hides a bunch of what it is doing, so couldn't trap the setting. So, we just have each user log into the desktop one time (don't have to do anything, but log onto it, then log out).

So that allows the contols in the Opty snapshot to work. However, we also have ..... I think it is called the Security Advisor running and have blacklisted all internet (and intranet) sites. Users can't get anywhere not specifically allowed. So, if a user were to try to use the little globe on Account's website field, they would not be able to get to the account's website. We did allow users to get to mapquest if they use the globe icon next to an address field in SLX, but R2 adds a bunch of stuff to the URL, so that doesn't work either.

The point to this part though is that the controls in the Opportunity snapshot look to R2 to be URL calls, so security advisor pops a message saying something to the effect of "This site has no rating. Enter the admin password to set the rating", and doesn't allow the pop-up to appear.  The work around here was to just have our IT admin click each link in the window, enter the password, and allow the URL. We tried just entering the URL's in the white list, but they didn't take. We think it is because there is a space at the beginning of the URL that we didn't see, so didn't enter the URL's on the white list with a preceding space.  Be sure to also do this on a closed opportunity since different pop-ups appear on those.  Also, for some odd reason, you also have to set the password on the Cancel event. Once you allow the pop-up, it pops fine, but once it pops, if you hit Cancel, you are prompted for the security password again. Doesn't really affect things, but it is annoying, so you should take care of those as well.

Otherwise, loving it.   I didn't setup the installation, so don't know anything about the connection issues. If you had a specific question though, I could run it by our IT god.

Patrick

Patrick,

Thank you for the very detailed email, since it's been so long ago i dont remember the exact issue i run into, i will rebuild my test environment and reply back to this post, hopfully within a week or so.

thank you,

Alex

Paul,

Here is the exact error we are getting when trying to launch 7.2.2 client nn Server 2008 R2 x64. 

"Database login Failed.  TCP Provider: The request name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found"

Any help is greatly appritiated.

Alex

Bronze Super Contributor

Alex that error seems to be something regarding connecting from machines that are not listed on the Active Directory, or if their network settings is not "use NETBIOS over TCPIP".  Is it the case that the TS and the SLX components are on different direcotries or something?

Kris Halsrud - Customer FX Corporation / Systems Engineer

customerfx.com
| slxdeveloper.com | goodtraining.com