Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Bronze Super Contributor

Stop sending files to a non-syncing remote user

Hi,

We are on 7.2.2 LAN with Remotes. We have 2 or 3 remote users who just do not sync for whatever reason.  Their files number in the 10's of thousands and are taking up over a gig of disk space.  I would like to stop sending them TEFs.  However, I don't know for sure that they are not making updates to their local databases, so want to leave their profiles in a state that if they need to send in changes in the future that they can.  Not sure how best to do this. 

I could just remove all their subscription rules which I assume will stop sending them most, if not all, files.   I am thinking that this would still allow them to send in any changes they have made locally at a future date without them continuing to build outfiles on our server.  The other thought I had was to switch them to a Network or Concurrent user type even though they are not (and realistically can't be due to their remote locations).  I am thinking that doing this would prevent both sending and recieving TEFs on the server side.   What I don't know is if I change them back to remote users in the future if they will be able to send in any local changes at that point...??

Either way, when I make one of the changes above, I will delete any pending OUTFILES for the users. Then when the user(s) decide that they are ready for the grown-up responsibility of regular syncing that I will require they get a new database extract. 

Thoughts?  Thanks!

Patrick

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Stop sending files to a non-syncing remote user

Can you not just enable the Sync Automation on their Sync client to run in the back ground? that way they dont have to 'think' Smiley Wink
Regards, Adam Travers
empath-e Services Limited
Bronze Super Contributor

hmmm..... maybe I will give that a try.  We normally do that with remote users who are in an office regularly, but most of the remote users are in home offices, and to sync they need to connect to our company VPN which may be very infrequent. Still, even if they only connect once every couple of weeks, the auto-sync should kick in when they do.... I will try that first, and if that fails to work well, I will look further. Thanks for reminding me to Keep It Simple!
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

No problem!

Also, you should take advantage of our free SalesLogix Sync Report:

http://www.empath-e.com/support/slxutilities.asp 

I know Mike emailed this to you on ITToolbox, its perfect for keeping an eye on the remote user syncronisation.

Message Edited by AdamTravers on 11-13-2009 02:45 PM
Message Edited by AdamTravers on 11-13-2009 02:47 PM
Regards, Adam Travers
empath-e Services Limited
Bronze Super Contributor

If it's not going to be a "sync twice a month" situation, you can change them to Network or Concurrent users.  You can change them back to Remote in the future if the situation changes.     I would think you can still import changes they've made once you make them remote users again, but I would test that first (if you have an ex-employee who was a remote, note the site code, change them to a Network user, then the next day change them back and see if the site code changes).

If you have a returning remote user after you have deleted the out-files. I'd cut a new DB since the old one would be out-of-date with production.