Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Bronze Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Split account?

Hi,

We're on 7.2.2 LAN.  I have a couple users who both service the same major account, and they have been tripping over each other for the past year. Let's say one of them handles their components business and the other handles their software business, but they have been using the same account record as each other. One week, one is the account manager, and the next week, the other guy makes himself the account manager. 

So, they've decided that they should split the account in two so they don't have to share.  Problem is that they want all of the software business optys, contacts and history to move to the new account as well.  I can move the contacts one at a time and take their history with them, but don't see how to move the optys.  Is there a simple way to do ths? Could I use the SQL tool to just specify the new account id for the optys?

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: Split account?

Opportunity's can have different account manager's than the Opportunity for the same account....History can have different CompletedUser's, etc.  I don't really understand what the issue is here. I routinely add a 1:many table off of Account to keep track of the User's assigned to that account.....from different business units\divisions\sales Territories. There's an Opportunity User's table, why not add an Account User's table?

RJ Samp
Employee

Essentially yes you could do that.  Just update the ACCOUNTID within the OPPORTUNITY table to reflect the new accountid where necessary.

A few things to remember:

It's not officially recommended.

You must run the statement via Execute SQL in Administrator if you have remotes.

I'd highly recommend setting up a test environment and testing that this works with no issues before touching the live database.

Silver Contributor

yea, what happens with the AccountID change (and the reason it was removed from the LAN Client in dem olden days) is that the entire Opportunity DOES NOT SYNCH out to remote user's, period.....your mileage will not vary.....If they have both account's on their remote database\office server this is fine.....IFF.

RJ Samp
Bronze Super Contributor

Thanks. I'll keep the good advice in mind.

Patrick

Employee

Ah.  Well done RJ.  I had no doubt you'd think of something I'd missed in that scenario.   Smiley Very Happy