01-09-2014 07:57 AM
I recently upgraded from 7.2.2 to 8.1.0 and in reviewing the documentation, I noticed that it stated the bundles are named Saleslogix v7.5.4 to v8.1 Upgrade.sxb or Saleslogix v8.0.x to v8.1.sxb and in the media it is SalesLogix v7.5x to v8.0 Upgrade.sxb and Saleslogix v8.0.x to v8.1.sxb.
I made an assumption that the bundles were named incorrectly so I used the 7.5.x to 8.0 but after install, I reviewed the properties and it was ACTUALLY the 8.0 upgrade files and not a bundle containing the 8.1 files. Has anyone else ran across this or am I just missing something? I did apply the 8.1 files bundle and successfully ran the software but whoa...
The documentation actually states that both bundles should contain the 8.1 files.
Another documentation issue:
Formatting in the documentation is wrong as the Prerequisites section is a section header rather than a sub-heading.
01-09-2014 08:06 AM
01-09-2014 08:26 AM
Then there is more wrong with the documentation than the bundles being applied in a two-step operation. The documentation states that you can ONLY upgrade version 7.5.4 or higher to 8.1 which in this case isn't accurate. With this retro bundle you should be able to upgrade from 7.5.0 to 8.1 in the two bundles. This does impact upgrading customers, as taking a lower version up to 8.1 will have less mid-steps that the documentation infers.