Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

SalesLogix v7.5 - Access Denied to SLX Administrator

Hi Everyone.

My problem is following: I've installed SalesLogix Client and SLX Administrator in only one client computer (Windows Vista). The user of this machine have activated Windows Authentication in SalesLogix and his license is Concurrent type.

When his try access to SalesLogix Administrator get this message: "Database Login Failed: Authentication Error", but him get success access to SalesLogix Client.

Note: Previously, i gave Administrative Role to this user. It's Role was created own me. I not used default Administrative Roles options (Sales Admin, DB Admin, Librarian).

Regards,

Oscar

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: SalesLogix v7.5 - Access Denied to SLX Administrator

I believe only the user "Admin" can log into the Administrator Application.  
Gold Super Contributor

Incorrect....

The purpose of the "admin roles" is to allow a user to loginto the Admin tool as themselves and be restricted in what they can do. In fact, we always tell our clients to not login as admin but give themselves all rights (in a role) and login as themselves. This lets you have more than one person logged into Admin at a time and not "scramble the eggs".

(Admin) Roles have been around since  v5.2

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Copper Elite Contributor

I'm not sure about 7.5 but in 7.2, windows authentication doesn't apply to Administrator or Architect. You have to login using the SalesLogix managed password. I think it's 'password' by default.

Thanks,
Larry Esposito
Nickel Super Contributor

I agree with Larry, for Administrator and Architect, the login is admin and the password is the defaulted password during the initial set up.

I'd be hard pressed to find many companies who allow more than one login name access to those programs other than the system admin and their BPs.  Too many cooks in the kitchen otherwise....

Gold Super Contributor

We have a client that is global in nature and they have "admins" in several locations(about 4 or 5). They will login to a terminal server and run the Admin tool as themselves.

This has helped to reduce errors and to make sure we know who the last one was who touched something. 

--

Nickel Super Contributor

Okay understandable on that front, but hear me out because this is geared towards you setting up something for a client, making you a BP..... 

Now if it were me asking this question on this forum (as I am not speaking for Oscar here), I think it would be reasonable to infer that I am asking this because I dont have other individuals set up with admin roles but I still have a user called "admin."

Is it not wise to think that, perhaps, I have a pretty simplistic set up of my system in nature, as most set ups for SalesLogix are "for the small to medium sized business" rather than gobal clients...?

On another point, if the database is running on a terminal server and users need to remote in to run the admin tool, wouldn't it be far more simplistic to create login credentials for each user to the server and still keep the admin tool as "admin" as you can still track who was in the system and at what time?  Its what we do to differentiate whether I'm on the server or if my BP is and it keeps a log....

I'm not trying to you a hard time on this because you provide some really great answers to issues on these forums, its just sometimes the admins and the users of the system have a different perspective on an issue that a BP fails to see and I just want to make that point very clear because the issue here is not how can I set up admin roles, but rather how can I access SLX Administrator to get to set up those roles if I set them up wrong.....

I think Larry's response has a lot of weight as it is the most likely way Oscar will be able to get his user into the tool

Gold Super Contributor

My background (w/SalesLogix and CRM in general) is that I started as a customer - the CIO of a global marketing research firm in Industrial Automation and control. Later became an "independent" consultant in Sales Force automation and Marketing (yes, was a marketing manager at a large firm before the CIO job). Finally started a partnership. This all goes back 11+ years (all of this is in my community profile as well as on LinkedIn). We also use SalesLogix every day to run our business (we eat our own dog food every day - which is more than some do ;-)

So I do have "user" experience in all aspects of the SalesLogix product.

Logging in as "admin" in SalesLogix to do all "admin" things is like logging into Windows as domain administrator.

The SalesLogix team added the admin roles feature to be able to spread admin features around in a controlled setup. This way you can have someone who can add/modify users but not be able to cut a remote, or modify the schema (ex run DB Manger or run the execute SQL tool). It's easy to give the admin role to let someone be able to update the Sales Library and not touch anything else. You might want a person in IT to be able to cut remotes but not allow any other admin changes.

The "admin" login bypasses 100% of SalesLogix security. I'll bet that if he/she knew that and knew about admin roles you would see them implemented immediately.

FYI.. it's a complete mistake to think of SalesLogix as a system for just "small" businesses. There are a significant number of clients out there that are running 200 and up seats (I personally know of one w/over 500 remotes - all over the globe). Throw enough $$$ against hardware (massive servers, etc) and properly architected, there's basically no limit to the size of a SalesLogix system. It's been field proven over and over. Why have you not heard of these "extra-large" installations - because of confidentially agreements. A highly integrated/customized SalesLogix system becomes a strategic weapon in the business of business. These companies do not want their competitors (or potential competitors) to know what they are up to.

Oh well.. my 2 cents...

--

Copper Elite Contributor

You never cease to amaze me RJ and some day I'd like you to reveal exactly how you have managed to squeeze 48 hours into a 24 hour day! Einstein had nothing over you.

For the record, we are a global company that uses SalesLogix Administrator exactly as you describe. My original post in this thread was simply to suggest that logging into Administrator or Architect ignores the Windows Authentication (I suspect so that a user can't walk over to a vacated admin's PC and wreak havoc). When a Windows Authenticated user sees a login screen they just naturally assume that they should be entering their LAN password when, in fact ,there is typically some other issue going on, be it a network interruption or possibly, in the case of this original post, attempting to login to a non-Windows Authenticated SLX app like Administrator which is why I was recommending 'password', probably not the issue but worth a try none-the-less.

Thanks,
Larry Esposito

Gold Super Contributor

"Time Space Continuum Compression" is the trick! Has to do with al that sci-fi ;-)

Yes, distributed admin roles sole a lot of organizational issues.

Absolutely correct on the Windows Authentication. Only the SalesLogix Client makes the check.

--