Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

SalesLogix Web and Load Balancing

Does anyone have insight into hosting a SalesLogix web environment with multiple web servers connected by a F5 load balancer?  The servers will have a number of SalesLogix web instances pointing to their own SalesLogix database on a clustered SQL server.  I'm looking for any information regarding differences of set up, deployment and support.  Thanks!
Martin Rudnick
Wells Fargo
SalesLogix Product Manager

"When in doubt, log out...and reboot"
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Re: SalesLogix Web and Load Balancing

It should be a very simple straight shot. Just modify the deployment setup  (in AA) to include all the web servers in a single deployment. 

Deployment was designed from the "get-go" to handle such a deployment.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks RJ!  I'll take a closer look at the Deployment Explorer
Martin Rudnick
Wells Fargo

Employee

Hi Martin -

It is important to note that the present SLX WebClient solution requires web server affinity aka "stickiness" between the browser client and a specific webserver. THis is true for multiple physical webservers (aka WebFarm) as well as multiple websites on a single WebServer (aka WebGarden). 

The SLX WebClient makes use of IIS in-process (in-memory) session state as well as in-process (in-memory) NHibernate level1/level2 cache thus all interactions between the browser client and the webserver must stick to the same webserver from the logon page onward.

Todd Hardin
SalesLogix Professional Services Group
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks, Todd!  That's good to know.  I'll look into that as I become more familiar with the load balance process.
Martin Rudnick
Wells Fargo

Employee

Good to hear Martin.

I'm sure everyone in the community will appreciate anything you share about your experiences configuring F5.

Todd Hardin
Copper Elite Contributor

Todd,

Our F5 team stated that the F5 can be configured to provide sticky sessions.  They typically use source address persistence.  Can you confirm whether that is supported for SalesLogix 7.5.2?  Thanks!

Martin Rudnick
Wells Fargo

Gold Super Contributor

Todd posted that SalesLogix web REQUIRES sticky sessions.

If you swap servers in the middle of a session.. all bets are off. 

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Employee

Hi Martin -

Sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer as I don't have hands on F5 experience/knowledge at this time myself. 

In theory, a load-balancer/redirector technique for achieving stick sessions should be transparent to SLX. The default configuration for SLX uses cookies to support IIS Session State (i.e. to associate the broser client with its the IIS session object). So long as the F5 configuration manages to consistently connect a specific browser to a specific WebServer for the duration of the session, and nothing it does interferes with IIS ability to map the borswer to the IIS Session store, then in theory all should be well.

Here is an example of something (one of the many things) I don't know about F5 - how does F5 determine if a specific IIS session has ended, or is the idea that you configure F5 and IIS to have an identical session timeout length and then both F5 and IIS continue to renew-extend that timeout period each time a request passes through F5 and to IIS?

Strongly recommend some testing of course. If anyone else has has some real-world knowledge and experiences with F5 for SLX Web hopefully they notice this thread and are able to share any insights or special issues.

Todd Hardin
Astute Commentator

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a load balancing env. for Saleslogix with native W2008 component: NLB+2 ARR+2host IIS server with Saleslogix appllication. http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/511/achieving-high-availability-and-scalability---arr-and-nlb/

Does anybody have already configured this kind of Load Balancing. What are the best pratices?

Charles