Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

SalesLogix Server Not Finding/Installing SalesLogix DB

We are performing an upgrade from 7.0 to 7.5.  We are doing a fresh install in our production environment of SLX 7.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit with SQL Server 2008 Standard in a virtual environment (Hyper-V).  Once 7.5 is installed and working we plan to use the Import/Export tool to move our data over from 7.0.

The test environment was Server 2008 (not R2) and SQL 2008 Enterprise on virtual environment. (VirtualBox)  I was able to successfully perform the above plan in my test environment.

In the production environment I attempted to do an ‘Express Install’ of SLX.  Everything appears to installs as one would expect.  It asks for the sa password so it can see Microsoft SQL is installed.  At the end of the install it asks if I want to install Microsoft SQL Express.  I do not wish to do so since Microsoft SQL is already installed.  I then log into the SQL Server Management Console and the SalesLogix/SalesLogix_Eval databases do not exist.  I have attempted to attach them inside the console and this has failed because the lef file cannot be found.  I have also tried removing the lef files and this has led to more errors.  I have attempted to install the DB using the SLX wizard but received the copy error as stated in many forums online.  I have tried using the Standard/Custom installs and this has all yielded the same results.  The custom install is unable to find an instance of SQL Server but still asks for the sa account credentials.  So I am unable to complete this install if I check the box ‘install blank SalesLogix’ database.  I have used the same steps as in my test environment as in my production environment to the best of my knowledge.

Both the sa and sysdba accounts are added to the Security> Logins> in the SQL management console.  I have followed the guide in the below hyperlink even through it is for SQL Express.

http://infosource.sagesoftwareonline.com/sw_attach/kdb.asp?isResolutionConceptID=500443  

I am at lose of why it does not install the DB.  I have also attempted to manually create the SalesLogix database in the management console and then copy our data from 7.0 over.  After this is performed I am unable to use the SLX Administrator tool- or make any connection to the DB using SLX credentials even through are the tables are populated with our information.

Does some SQL port need to be open? (Other than the default 1706- does this even matter?)  Is SLX not compatible with Server 2008 R2? Does SQL need to be the Enterprise Edition? Am I missing something in the documentation? 

Let me know if you can offer any advice or thoughts on this matter. 

Thanks.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: SalesLogix Server Not Finding/Installing SalesLogix DB

I had the same issue and I think I have a solution for you. Unfortunately, I'm traveling and can't access my notes for a few days. It's been a few months since I hit this, but I think it's the master installation wizard failing to pass certain parameters to a sub-install routine in the Server 2008 64-bit environment. I first used the Express Install and (I think) no (or unhelpful) errors appeared. The databases just failed to install. When I ran the Standard Install I did see an error and puzzled over it. I finally looked for and found the exe that does the installation of the databases. I ran it by double-clicking on the exe and the install was complete. If you can wait a few days, I'll check my notes. Otherwise, backup your server and go for it.

For what it's worth, I found a few of these types of issues with the 7.5.2 installation on Server 2008 64-bit. Mine is physical, not virtual, but that shouldn't matter. My hardcopy of the Implementation Guide is crammed with my notes as I bulled through the installation.

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for the response.  I really did not know what else to do with this one...

Looking on my own I found this directory... Slx_dvd\Redist\SQL 2008 Native Client.  When I attempt to run the file it says 'not supported with this OS' I assume this is refering to the 32-bit 64-bit differences.  

I will keep you posted if I find anything else.

Yes I would be curious to see how you overcome this.  We still have our production 7.0 SLX up so rush but we would like to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Thanks once again.

Silver Contributor

You can download a 64 Bit version of the native client from microsoft.

But you only need this, if you install this on a different server than the sql server.

Also try to disable the firewall on your w2k8 sql server just for testing.

Also, look if the sql browser service is started.

Regards!

Alexander

Copper Super Contributor

Look for the InstallSlxDBs.exe to install the databases. Run this after you completed the Installation Wizard (I don't think it matters whether you run the Express or Standard/Custom) but before you launch the Administrator to start the configuration.

Another nifty issue was understanding that .NET Framework is inherently part of the newly installed Server OS and that you MUST UNINSTALL it before installing SLX. The SLX documentation explains that certain SLX components (Web and Intellisync, I think) must be installed before .NET Framework is installed, but it doesn't explicitly say that it's already on all servers and must be removed before installing SLX. This is one of many examples of how carefully you must read and understand every sentence in the 7.5 Implementation Guide. Since we typically fully update a server OS before starting any application installation, our initial SLX installs failed. We removed .NET Framework, installed SLX, then reinstalled .NET Framework (just have the server do a Windows Update and it will install all the missing components and service packs).

We also discovered that the SYSDBA login was not part of the SQL 2008 installation (it's an anachronism that SLX needs for certain functions) and that SLX doesn't create it.  The SLX documentation doesn't seem to cover this. Our impression was that the SLX 7.5 Implementation Guide has not been fully updated or vetted against SQL 2008 and Server 2008; it's trying to cover a lot of Server OS and SQL versions. As more people install onto the these latest platforms (and the BPs provide feedback) I'm sure Sage will revise the documentation.

Our methodology was to connect an external hard drive to the new SLX server and take disk images after each major phase of the installation. This gave us the luxury of proceeding to the next phase knowing we could always "fall back" to an earlier state. The only time this strategy bit us was when we fell back (towards the end) and didn't realize the image didn't apply the 7.5 web bundle to our web site. Architect threw off build errors; errors which others have posted on this forum.

Hope this helps

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay wow.  This is far more invovled than I thought it was.  My 32-bit test enviroment install was much easier....  Thanks DFW11411.  I was consdering trying to install 32-bit in our enviroment instead of the 64-bit version.  I think this may be easier. If the run into issues with the 32-bit install I will start over with the 64-bit install. Removing the .Net framework before installing SLX I do not think was even hinted at in the documentation...

InstallSlxDBs.exe crashes when I attempt to attach the DB.  I saw this in other forumns.  It gives you 'error copying databaes: access violation at address ... in module 'InstallSLXDBs.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFF..."  I also tried attaching these within the console as mentioned above to no avial.

I attempted to run the SQL broswer and disable the firewall and this had no effect.  SQL and SLX are on the same box.

I will post back if I get the 2008 server/sql 32-bit up and running.

Thanks for all your responses.

Message Edited by jjbingen on 04-09-2010 11:24 AM
Silver Super Contributor

The installation and using of SQL2005/8 and 32bit/64bit does not differ much - the real issue is the 64bit setup for the OLEDB provider which is a little tricky - you can find out more here http://www.empath-e.com/documents/Bulletins/081009.pdf which, as you can see, was based upon the install guide and exracts the good parts specifically for 2008. Its not as complex as you're making it out :-)

I think this would easily be resolved with a G2M - happy to help if you wanted - mike.spragg@empath-e.com

Regards
Mike
Copper Super Contributor

The Server 2008 32-bit installed just as it did in my orginal test envrioment.

Something must be hard coded in the 64-bit enviroment causing the installer to not install the DB.

Still configuring the rest of our envrioment.   Will keep you posted if I have more questions.

Thanks.

Copper Super Contributor

These notes are specific to installing SLX 7.5 on a Server 2008 64-bit with SQL Server 2008.

To confirm: I used the InstallSlxDBs.exe to manually copy the databases. I logged into SQL Server Management Console to check they were installed. I then followed instructions posted elsewhere on this forum to manually establish and configure the SLX database connectors.

The "sa" account for SQL Server 2008 was defaulted to "disabled" and was set for Windows authentication. It has to be manually changed to "enabled" and "SQL Server and Windows" authentication. I recall that I could login as "sa" and everything seemed to work, but, until I changed the status to "enabled", SLX would not work properly. As I mentioned previously, I had to manually create the "sysdba" account, make sure it was enabled and correctly configured. Make sure you set the sysdba password; a blank password will fail to install the databases.

Regarding the WebDLL user, IIS 7 has no "IIS_WPG" group. It is now the "IIS_IUSRS" group. Adding the WebDLL user to that group seems to work. I believe that the IIS_IUSRS group provides the backward compatibility SLX needs.

MDAC (aka Microsoft DAC) is built into SQL Server 2008. No need to locate it on Microsoft's site and install.

Copper Super Contributor

Although I greatly admire and respect Mike, his comment that installing 32-bit vs. 64-bit "does not differ much" made me chuckle. I'm reminded that human DNA is 99.X% identical to frog DNA! It's that little difference that matters! :-)

Yes, installing SLX is not for the "faint of heart" as they say. For those of us with the luxury of time, who enjoy the technical challenge and who obtain unselfish help from the experts on this forum, self-install may be a viable option. Otherwise, accept his offer of a remote session to quickly and easily solve your issues. BPs do this daily; we don't.

Doug