Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

SLX LAN 7.5.3 Infrastructure / SLX 7.5.1 Clients / Sync Issues

Hello All,

So, after testing in a mixed version environment and not seeing any issues, and against our recommendation, I have a client in a situation where the data from a remote office is not fully synching over to the host database.  Probably something like 2/3's of the data is coming over.

Possibly related, when we did the upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.5.3 there was one plugin that was re-released as it had been customized but, regardless of all the wizardry we tried, it would not sync out to the remote offices.  Okay, it went to one office.  We ended up touching it directly in each office to make it available.

Some LAN clients are running 7.5.3, and more will as the shift in OS's takes place.  7.5.1 are running on XP machines, whereas 7.5.3 is running on the Win7 PCs.  There are 7.5.3 packages built for XP as well but they were meant to be used during another project where the company is flipping folks between Active Directories and also PC builds (acquisition shifts).

1) Outside of recommendation or support, are there known issues where a 7.5.1 LAN client running on a 7.5.3 server infrastructure will result in sync issues?  Just wondering if there are actual cases to note.

2) What we are doing in one office is upgrading everyone to 7.5.3, which is quite painful as the uninstall of 7.5.1 has been pretty manual at best.  My question is, once we get the clients onto 7.5.3 what is the best approach for synching up the two databases and, do you think we'll need to recut the remote.  I'd mentioned there is the utility for synching, which will require a re-cut but the client also has previous scripts that they've run through linked servers because they've had bad experiences with the sync remote db utility.  We obviously will be checking to see if the 7.5.3 client has remedied the situation before going to much further but wondering what others think.

All servers (7) are upgrade through the latest 7.5.3 HF as are the clients.  Clients in question ar WinXP.

Cheers,

Jeff

Employee

Re: SLX LAN 7.5.3 Infrastructure / SLX 7.5.1 Clients / Sync Issues

ANY difference in versions between the clients and host machine is likely to cause to sync issues.  It's one of the first things we look for when data is going missing in a sync environment.

There should be no need to uninstall 7.5.1?  Just apply SP3 over the top.

Since you've had sync issues, I'd recommend getting the Remote DB's in-house, using the Resync Remote facility in the Administrator and then cutting new remotes.

Highlighted

Re: SLX LAN 7.5.3 Infrastructure / SLX 7.5.1 Clients / Sync Issues

Emma,

Thanks for the response.  Pretty much what I figured.

This client has over 600 users in a mixed OS enviornment and all software is pushed through bundles.  The delivery mechanism removes SLX and pushes the new version as packaging an updater was not going to work.

Cheers,

Jeff