Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Bronze Super Contributor

SLX 7.5.4 SDATA - E_FAIL when changing Data Source in config.config

Hi,

SLX 7.5.4

Server 1 - Windows 2008 R2 - 64 Bit - SLX Web

Server 2 - Windows 2008 R2 - 64 Bit - SLX Server

Server 3 - Windows 2008 R2 - 64 Bit / SQL 2008 R2

SDATA and Webclient working without Problems with EVAL-DB. I tried to switch SDATA to another DB with just changing the Data Source in the connection.config. Using the second DB with SLX Client, Admin or AA is no problem. My steps:

* Original connection.config (EVAL-DB) --> http://localhost:3333/sdata/$system/adapters --> Connection ok

* Changing connection to other DB

* iisreset

* http://localhost:3333/sdata/$system/adapters --> E_FAIL(0x80004005)

In Eval-DB and in the second DB WebDLL is linked to SLX Admin.

What am i missing?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards
Rainer Raebiger
Silver Contributor

Re: SLX 7.5.4 SDATA - E_FAIL when changing Data Source in config.config

E_FAIL(0x80004005)  I've gotten that error before installing Windows 7 SP1.....not fun.

RJ Samp
Employee

The E_FAIL error will occur if the "Initial Catalog" is not configured for the server pointed to via the "Data Source" connection string property. The SlxOleDBConfig.dll is responsible for returning the connection string to SLXOLEDB; if SlxOleDBConfig.dll does not find an entry for the "Initial Catalog" it will return an empty string to SLXOLEDB which will result in an E_FAIL. Of course, this is not the only scneario where you would see an E_FAIL, since E_FAIL is a generic COM exception, but it is one I've seen several times.

Thanks

Mike

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer. In the meantime i found out why i had this problem.

When using a restricted user for WebDLL-User as described in Implementation Guide on Page 11 and 12, it is neccessary that WebDLL-User has Write access to Folder ..\AppData\SalesLogix\SlxOLEDB.

In my case it's Windows 2008 R2 x64. In this case the folder is:

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\appData\Local\SalesLogix\SLXOLEDB\PluginCache\.

Also have a look at http://community.sagesaleslogix.com/t5/Administration/Your-login-attempt-was-not-successful-Please-t...

While first time accessing SDATA-Website, in this folder is created a new subfolder with ..\SLXSERVERNAME+CONNECTIONNAME. within this folder SLX will put the SLXProviderExtensions.dll.

So when changing the connection.config to another DB, a new Folder is created on the first access to SDATA.

Hope this will help someone.

Regards
Rainer Raebiger
Employee

Ok, thanks for sharing.

Mike