Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

SLX 7.5.4 Move Log Directory

I have a remote office synching with our master database. This is referencing the Log folder on the remote server.

On the sync transfer profiles, the log file is listed as \\sharename\Log as well as the other child sync folders.

the Log directory is Windows shared out, however the drive it's on is becoming full as a result.

I'd like to move it to another server drive which has a lot more capacity. Are there any links or issues if I unshare the folder, move the folder to the other drive, then reshare the folder using the same name. Is there something additional in SalesLogix that I would need to change in order for me to do this. I don't want to move this and find it breaks something else.

Silver Contributor

Re: SLX 7.5.4 Move Log Directory

As long as your reference in the SLX Admin program is \\ServerName\MyLogFolder and this doesn't change......SLX won't have any problem going to the 'new' location for the shared folder. You'll have to shut down local SLX services however (kicking everyone off of LAN, Web, etc.) as you don't want to ever change horses in the middle of the stream..... (Giddy-up, giddy-up)....

RJ Samp
Employee

Description:

How to move the SalesLogix Server, Sync Server and Logging Path (which are all on the same physical machine) to a new machine.

Possible Resolution:

Note: These instructions assume the machine name will be new.

To move the servers:

1. Install the SalesLogix Server and Synchronization Server on new machine (do not choose to create a new connection or datalink)
  2. Select Start / Programs / Administrative Tools / Services
  3. Right-click on the SalesLogix Services
  4. Select 'Stop' (Note: The specific SalesLogix Services for SLX 6.1 and SLX 6.2 are listed on the bottom of this article)
  5. Stop remote users from synching and ensure all network users are logged out
  6. Run sync cycles on synchronization server until WGLogs folders are clear
  7. On the old server, repeat steps 2-4
  8. Select Start / Programs / Administrative Tools / Services
  9. Right-click on the SalesLogix Services
  10. Select 'Start'
  11. Create a connection to the database and datalink. For more information, see How to delete and recreate the datalink and database connections
  12. Log on to the Administrator
  13. Click the 'Systems' icon
  14. Click the 'Offices' tab
  15. Right-click and select 'Edit Office Profile'
  16. Click the folder icon and browse to the new path.
  17. Click the 'OK' Button
  18. Cycle the synchronization server
  19. Recreate the datalinks for network users and verify they can log in successfully. For more information, see How to delete and recreate the datalink and database connections

To move the logging path:

1. Copy the logging folder and all of it's contents to the new server
  2. Share the logging folder providing all users full access

If remote clients exist:

1. Instruct remote users to change the server path in the sync client window.
  2. Log on to the Sync Client
  3. Select File / Options
  4. Click the 'delivery' tab
  5. Click the 'server path' folder icon.
  6. Browse to the new logging path (Note: This applies for network sync users through VPN connection and is not necessary if the new server name and path are identical to the old)

SalesLogix 6.1 Services: 
    - SalesLogix OLEDB Provider
    - SLX Server
    - SLX Sync Service

SalesLogix 6.2 & 7.0 Services:
    - SalesLogix Server
    - SalesLogix Speedsearch
    - SalesLogix Synchronization

Emma,

Thank you for the technote. I appreciate the response.

However, I was simply moving the log directory from one partition on the same machine to another, and it was only for the Remote Office server.

I did indeed move it using RJ's advice, and it is currently working without issue. Thanks everyone.

Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

@EmmaNixon wrote:

If remote clients exist:

1. Instruct remote users to change the server path in the sync client window.
  2. Log on to the Sync Client
  3. Select File / Options
  4. Click the 'delivery' tab
  5. Click the 'server path' folder icon.
  6. Browse to the new logging path (Note: This applies for network sync users through VPN connection and is not necessary if the new server name and path are identical to the old)

If the remotes are using FTP and/or http/https synch.. you can ignore the above.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html