Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted

Question on Export

We have several years of Notes accummlated in our Sales Logix. How can I export them with the corresponding account?

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Question on Export

It depends what you mean by corresponding account (it also depends on what you mean by export as well I guess). But HISTORY.ACCOUNTNAME is the account's name if that's what you mean.
Highlighted

Thank you for the reply.

I need to export the notes to a csv, excel dbase or similar. Where can I go to read the exporting process?

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

If you create a group then you can include the Notes-History fields in the group. You can then just use File | Export to export to CSV - or there is an Export to Excel right on the toolbar. Use Help | Help Topics | Search | Exporting to locate more information on this topic.
Highlighted

I do not see Notes in the list of possible Groups. I imagine the Notes are somehow related to the Account.

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Groups are entirely what you want them to be? You create a group based on what you want to see (based on the available data). For example, I could not go looking for a group of "Contacts by Birthday" - it won't/doesn't exist. Can I create a group - showing their birthdays? Yes - by using Groups. You need to review the help topics on Groups, how to use, create etc.
Highlighted

Okay, I am in creating a Group. It will  not let me drag Notes to the layout. I can drag other fields. I notice most fields have 123 or abc beside them where Notes has 10001/1010.

thanks

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Good point, that's because the real field (LongNotes) is actually a data blob. This means that it's capable of storing 2Gb of data. Hence, would be useless in XL or CSV format (due to carriage returns etc). Depending on what you are really trying to do (export all notes - why?) you're probably better off using a data extract tool in SQL or similar. Or, have whoever you are using as your business support (a business partner) create a routine that exports this to a file that's usable for you. If you want to scan just the notes per account then you can use Notes (the short version) and only have the first 255 chars of it.
Highlighted

We need the notes with the respective Account to be able to import into a new Filemaker db.

Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

As mike pointed out.. The actual "LongNotes" are too long to export normally. It will require "SQL Tools" or have your SalesLogix BP create an export "program" for you.... Or just give a shout and I'd be glad to do it.. (for a little $$$ of course ;-)

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html