Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Puzzle about groups

v7.53, LAN. I am puzzled about why this happens:

Lou, a SLX admnistrator, logs into his computer. Opens SLX, but logs in as Jane. The reason is to create a Contact group owned by Jane, which he does. The creation works, and he leaves the group. Now Lou decides to edit the group he just made, still logged in as Jane. He clicks edit, and group now errs and completely disappears!  

Related to this, if Lou is logged into SLX as Jane, and he tries to copy a goup that Jane has, it also blows up.

Clearly SLX doesn't like it if you log in to SLX  a different user than logged into Windows. What is going on?

Jerry Norman
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: Puzzle about groups

Did you share the Group? Might be a work around.....

I can recall the big in the 7.22 HF whatever when you couldn't even share the All and Latest groups.....

RJ Samp
Highlighted
Employee

I take it you're using Windows auth in SLX?  What happens if you take that off for those two users?  Does the issue still happen?

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

This just gets murkier. The option to enable Windows logins was checked, but no users were using it. Nevertheless, I unchecked the the enablement, but nobody experienced anything different.

Logging in as Admin, creating the group, and then sharing it is the only way that seems to work reliably. 

The flakiness of the group copy, and awareness of when Windows User A is logged into SLX as User B is really puzzling. Any further thoughts?

Jerry Norman
Highlighted
Employee

If the users weren't using Windows Auth, and weren't mapped to Windows users then I suspect that is just a red herring as it won't be looking at the Windows user at all then. 

You don't state what exact version of SLX you are using (HF's etc) so I tested over 7.5.3 with no Hot Fixes.

In testing here I even had my Windows login mapped to my 'Emma' user - but not active.  I then logged in as Loup created a group and was able to edit with no problems.  I also had a second session of SLX open as Emma the whole time I did that.  I tried various things, but at no point got this error.

I don't think this is a Defect, I believe this is an issue specific to your environment.  You say it throws errors, can you provide these, they might help?

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Emma, thank you for that ground truth. The customer is on v753, and uses only LAN.

I'll retest some more and be more specific.

Thanks!

Jerry Norman