Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Contributor

Purging or Archiving Attachments

4 years into use with 160 users, I'm looking at a documents directory pushing 85 GB.  Space is not a huge issue, all systems are virtual with SAN, so I can just have more disk space allocated.  But still, I'm looking at 145K - 150K files, and I know not all of them are still valid. 

Have you ever had to deal with a large number of attachments?  How have you done it?  Is there a method of archiving?  Have you had to purge?  How did you handle that with users?

For now I've got 2.5-3 month of disk space, so getting more allocated is going to happen, but long term just throwing more disk at it is not necessarily the best way.  I'm also looking at adding 30 - 40 more users this year.  Would love to hear from other on this. 

Thanks,

Todd

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Purging or Archiving Attachments

Wow! We have 100+ Users over 10 years and we're still under 10 GB! I thought THAT was bad! I think there have been other posts on the issue as I'm sure I've raised concerns more than once. Early on in the game our users realized that SalesLogix was not a very good Document Manager and so started curtailing their own usage.

I think the consensus of the Group here has been much the same: if you want archiving, build your own, it shouldn't be too hard. My feeling has always been that if you want Document Management, integrate with SharePoint or something similar since CRM as I know it is not equal to the task.

Thanks,

Larry Esposito