Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted

Preventing SLX network client from auto discovering SLX server

Hello,

We're temporarily running SLX 8 in the same network as the production SLX 7.54 and when opening the SLX 8 network client the log on dialog (and Data Link Manager) show the legacy 7.54 server connection.  We don't want SLX 8 users to connect to the SLX 7.54 server/database.

Is there a way to prevent the SLX network client from automatically discovering SalesLogix servers on the network?  Maybe a registry key or config file setting to disable-auto-discovery in the network client / Data Link Manager?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

-Evan

Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Re: Preventing SLX network client from auto discovering SLX server

The "client" only "auto-discovers" the first time if no connection is setup.

Remember, it's (Client ADO Connection info) all saved in the registry in HKCU:

HKCU->Software->SalesLogix->ADOLogon->Connection1

Just make sure the remaining are "empty".. in fact, you could delete Connection 2 thru 10 and then it's not possible for a user to manually make a connection to another SLX Server.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

RJ, your knowledge is amazingly vast, and deep. You really are a great help.

On my machine the HKCU\Software\SalesLogix\ADOLogin\Connection1  with ["Alias"="MySlx754Server"] and ["Data Source"="MySlx754DbServer"] are created when the user profile is first created on the machine (when the user logs into the machine for the first time), before the SLX Network client is run.  The strings "My754Server" and "My754DbServer" are nowhere in the registry prior to the new user's first log in.

I see a SlxSystem.exe running all the time, and am wondering if this is the process responsible for overwriting the connection strings. 

Is there no way to prevent the legacy Slx server Connection1 from being set?  Other than maybe a one time logon script that writes the correct connections to the registry after whatever writes the incorrect ones?

And to top this off Smiley Happy I found a defect in the SLX Client Data Link Manager:

Open SLX 8 Network Client;

Click ellipses in Logon dialog;

In Data Link Manager click Add;

Click Cancel;

Click OK in DLM;

My connections are now messed with: HKCU\Software\SalesLogix\ADOLogin\Connection1   is replaced with what was in Connection2;  and Connection2  is either empty, or I believe I have seen it sometimes replaced with "MySlx754Server" connection settings; and Connection3 - 10 are added as blanks.

-Evan

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

There's no registry setting that would allow that. However, you can disable port 1707 (assuming your slxserver is on port 1706) on the slxserver's firewall - and this will prevent the browsing facility. It won't stop a using simply typing in the names (server, database) of course - but will stop the browsing facility.
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

A - The creation of the registry entry is working exactly as it is supposed to to.

B - Don't worry about slxsystem.exe

C - Do not understand:

"...

Is there no way to prevent the legacy Slx server Connection1 from being set? 

..."

Connection "1" is the "top/default" ADO connection - this is how it (always) works. - not broken.

When you "Add" a new connection and there is already one.. the new one will become the first one and the "old one" get's pushed down to #2.. and so on.. that is how it has always worked.

When adding/modifying "Client" connection strings it (usually) always changes the order - it's dynamic and that's hard-coded into Saleslogix (exe) itself. Nothing new here.. been that way forever.

If you want just ONE connection, build up one and distribute the .reg file that can be used to set them on other systems.. but remember - client connections are ALWAYS in HKCU.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Highlighted

A- My connection strings are being overwritten even when I hit Cancel in the Data Link Manager (see my previous post for the steps to reproduce). The dynamic reordering of the connection strings doesn't matter, but their being removed, or replaced with wrong content, cannot be as designed (a.k.a. a defect). 

B- Just curious about SlxSystem.exe. Something other than the saleslogix.exe (network client) is discovering and writing the connection strings when the user first logs in.  

C- There is auto-discovery of the SLX servers, and writing of the connection strings that I don't want; how do I prevent it?  MIke Spragg has provided an answer - block port 1707. I'll have to consider any undesirable side effects.

Thanks RJ, thanks Mike.

-Evan

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

For a long time I've been setting connection preferences via a login script. Whenever I migrate a version or a server I simply change the registry file in the login script and everyone finds the correct DB automagically. This could also be done with a script/batch/cmd/vbs/powershell launch script so that you would always connect to the correct DB. Creating the reg file is easy. Edit in connection manager then export the key. 

The command in the script is "regedit -s NewSaleslogixDataLink.reg"

NewSaleslogixDataLink.reg contains.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SalesLogix\ADOLogin]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SalesLogix\ADOLogin\Connection1]
"Alias"="SLXLIVE2K8"
"Provider"="SLXOLEDB.1"
"Initial Catalog"="SLXLIVE2K8"
"Data Source"="sql2k8"
"Extended Properties"="PORT=1706;LOG=ON"
"DBPassword"="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
"User"=""