Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Oracle OLEDB Provider not visible

We are in the process of upgrading from version 7.2.1 to version 8 and need help in the setup.  We have a Windows 2008R2 SP1 64bit server and need to connect to our new Oracle 11i database.  We installed the Oracle ODAC 11.2.0.3 64 bit and Saleslogix 8.0 server.  The SLX connection manager does not show the Oracle provider.  If I do a Microsoft datalink connection if shows the Oracle OLEDB fine.

I have tried the 32 bit Oracle OLEDB as well with no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Re: Oracle OLEDB Provider not visible

@Steve - I assume you have a license code in your SLX system for Oracle.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Connection manager is 32bit only - so it needs the 32bit OLEDB providers. The Microsoft datalink, by default, is 64bit.
You would need to ensure you have the 32bit OLEDB provider for oracle for versions supported by SLX (check compatibility). I know you said you tried the 32bit but not sure if there is now a version clash with 32/64 and the components required by oracle.
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Yes we have an Oracle license.  We are totally compliant.  We have been using Oracle from the start.

Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

OK.. Give me a call in the office (see signature for info).. I've a few ideas.

--

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Thanks to both of you for replying.  I got in this morning and totally uninstalled the Oracle Clients, deleted directories and removed registry entries.  Also cleaned the system path.

Then I downloaded the latest 32 bit ODAC for 11g 11.2.0.3.20 and installed.

Voila!!

Thanks again

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Good news !
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Great!

Just to let you know.. we are just down the road from you (about 60 min) and are involved in the 8.1 beta. Give a shout.

--

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Addendum:  Please help if you can guide me further -- still all about oledb / provider / 64 vs 32 bit

I now have my Sync server machine up and running.  The Oracle OLEDB Provider is 32 bit and the client is installed and working on that machine. 

Went to my 64 bit Windows 7 desktop and tried to connect with the SLX client and I get an error when it opens:  "The procedure entry point lxgucs2utf could not be located in the dynamic link library OCI.dll"  OK, I immediately assume Oracle install, but the odd thing is that it was working to another 32 bit server prior to this attempt.

Deciding not to muck with my main development machine, I went to my 64bit Windows 7 laptop. Installed a patched version of the network client (up to hf10).  The datalink finds the server, but does not connect.  I then uninstall the 64 bit Oracle client and install the 32 bit Oracle ODAC that was successful on the server.  When setting up the datalink, the server is found, but the test returns "Test connect failed".  I am used to TNS Names errors having done this for 10 years, but this leads me nowhere.

I decided to try the 64 bit client as well (put first in system path). No luck. 

Read in documentation about creating a 32-bit OLEDB UDL.  Did that, sucessfully connects, but where do I place the file?  Still can't connect to new server with SLX client.

Since 64 bit is installed, I tried to create a UDL with Oracle provider and it connected fine ... this means the server is accessible and responding and no firewall is blocking.

I did try disabling both firewalls ... still no luck.

Can anyone tell me:

1. Which provider is necessary, 32 or 64, on Windows 7 64 bit machine operating as client / admin workstation?
  2. What is the install (step 95 in upgrade) 32-bit UDL for? When do you use it? Where do you put the udl file?
  3. Any tips to making this more seamless?  I am mighty sick of this part of the install.  Is it beacause we are on Oracle?

Thanks.

Steve

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

It's definitely because of Oracle. The problem is the same - mixed versions, even on 64bit the proc. is the same - 32bit provider, 32bit db drivers - which MUST match the server (as the client queries the server as to which driver to use).

So, the versions of the database provider have to match.

The UDL is not used at all. It's just used to test if connections work. Which, even if they do, is no guarantee (see above).