Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: One SLX client installation not sending changes to host

It is a freeware utility that runs in a cmd window and comes with lots of dire warnings about not to use it unless you understand everything about it. Beyond that, I can't find any information on exacty what it does.

Sounds like it should not be run except by its author Smiley Wink

Bronze Super Contributor

Agreed! That is why it amuses me that our Helpdesk run it indiscriminately without understanding it, and then runs for the hills when it creates issues. Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile. :-)

Gold Super Contributor

From what I just read (disable all other av and anti mal-ware software) - there's NO way I'd let this piece of software near me or any of my customers!
--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Bronze Super Contributor

Okay, just to close this one out.... After about 3 or 4 weeks with Sage Support looking at it, they were able to tell me only exactly what I told them to begin with. ComboFix breaks something and they don't know what. I am disappointed in the final response. They basically gave up because they could not find anyone to get in touch with at ComboFix to tell them what ComboFix changes, so could go no further. To be fair, ComboFix comes from a very black box source so not much to be done on that side. I had reached a similar end point, but mine ended with "I need to know what combofix changes" OR "I need to know how SLXSystem works".

My expectations, realistic or not, were that perhaps this could have been elevated to someone within Sage at the engineering or product development group who understands what SLXSystem needs to operate, and we could then check the handful of items required for that dll/service to run. I would think that perhaps someone at the development level would be able say, "Well it needs to have blah blah blah... Did that get wiped out?". Perhaps that did happen in the background, but I received no indication that any of that happened. Not sure what I would do without all you good folks to provide the support that I really need.

In the end, our solution was to stop using ComboFix, and to re-image all the PC's that had it applied. (Actually, once our senior IT folks found out what the helpdesk team was using, they were...... well, not impressed.... that they had not been consulted prior to its use...) Probably a good practice for infected machines anyway. Never can tell what rootkit virus and malware leave lurking even after the symptoms are gone.

Thanks to all who showed interest in this issue.

Patrick

[ Edited ]

CRAP!!! I got a bounch of computer with the same problem and I found a folder calle C:\QOOBOX which I think is what ComboFix leaves behind with the quarentined files and logs... I'll see if I can figure out what is causing it from the logs, etc...

This really sucks!! so I will have to re-image all those PC's????? Sage should relly put their engineers into this, I found other people on the net having the same problem with other anti-spyware, not only COMBOFIX... how can they not know what the problem is? don't they have a way to debug their own processes???? oh boy...

G

Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a 2007 post that talks about QOOBOX.....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t92219.html

Good luck!

RJ Samp
Copper Super Contributor

We strongly agree to that point,

we also have a customer with an american branch and some installations getting the same troubles after combofix ran.

It would at least give some confidence to our client, if Sage would work on that problem.

Winfried Andreas

CRS-Datentechnik

Nickel Contributor

We have a customer on v7.5.2 that is having the very same issue with some machines. The QUE files are not processing because combofix was run. Does anyone have an update on this and an idea how to fix it? Reimaging so many machines is going to be a nightmare!

Thanks!

Anosh

Gold Super Contributor

AFAIK - re-imaging is still the only solution.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Copper Contributor

I have fixed this. I threw the whole toolbox at one machine and it is now processing the QUE files. Once I go back and figure out exactly what it was, I will post the solution without re-imaging the machine....