Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

OLE DB Provider different on Server vs Client

I have just installed SLX Server and am now trying to connect using a client.  Whenever I try to connect to the client I get this error message.  "Failed to connect to SLXServer.  Check if server is running and is compatible with the current provider version."

I then realized the Data Link Property> OLE DB Providers were different for the client vs the server.  The connection manager on the both the client and server only had one provider to choose from.

Client: SalesLogix OLE DB Provider as the only provider

Server

Administrator: SalesLogix OLE DB Provider (I am able to log in just fine on the server) as the only provider

Connection Manager: SQL Server Native Client 10.0 as the only provider

On the client the UDL file works for the M$ OLE DB Provider but not for SQL Native client.  I believe this is the way it is supposed to work.  I also unable to connect using the UDL provider for 'SalesLogix OLE DB Provider' but this makes sense since this provider is not configured on the server?

My question is how do I get the 'SalesLogix OLE DB Provider' to be displayed in the Connection Manager on the server so I can use it?  Did something incorrectly install?  Do I need to change something?

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: OLE DB Provider different on Server vs Client

Um, there is no connection manager for the client:

1) ConnMgr is used for the SERVER to connect to SQL Server - it does this via Microsoft Native Client and this is what you should use. This create the link name for the server.
2) The CLIENT uses the connection specified when you login (Data Link Properties) - hit the ellipse, use the SLX OLEDB Provider, point to the SLXServer (the one defined in (1) above, and then select the connection (also 1 above)
3) The CLIENT then connects via this connection AND also connects (by obtaining info from the provider) to SQL Server directly. Therefore, you need to ensure you also install the Native Client on the PC so it can connect via that method too.

The CLIENT should not have the Connection Manager (unless you are using remotes, in which case, it has the server components also) - if it's a simple client that talks to a server.

You do NOT create a UDL file - everything is specified by runnning the SLX client and walking it through how to connect (point to server, job done).

If you also intend to run the client on the actual server - simply follow step (2) above and treat the server as a client.

Regards
Mike

CAPITALS for clarity - not shouting - although, if I was, I'd suggest a read of the implementation manual would be in order :-)

Copper Super Contributor

Yes I know the connection manager for the client does not exist.  I was using the UDL file just as a test to ensure I could connect to the server from the server.  I could do so using the M$ OLEDB provider from the client.  I was unable to do so using the SalesLogix OLEDB provider from the client.

On the server....  The only option I have to select within the Connection Manager is the 'SQL Native Client'.  According to the below the SalesLogix OLEDB or Micrsoft OLEDB Provider provider should also exist as an option to choose from?  Neither of these providers currently exist.  Only the SQL Native Client is present in the Connection Manager list.  How does one get the SLX OLEDB or M$ OLDB provider to be displayed in the list?  This is my question. 

Hope the claffication helps.

Thanks.

Silver Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, that provider (SQL OLEDB) was dropped in 7.5.2 - as the new Native Client is the Microsoft preferred method of connecting now to any vsn of SQL. That's why only the one displays.

If you are saying you are running a UDL and you can't see any providers - then you have an issue. Are you running on 64bit maybe ? If so, in order to create a ink you have to run the Universal Data Link program in 32bit mode before you see them (as it only shows 64bit providers by default)

So, my question is what is it you are trying to do - if it's to verify the connection, then you already have the tools - with the Test option. If you are trying to define a UDL file on a 64bit machine, see below:

Regards
Mike

Creating a UDL on an x64 system requires you to run the Data Link Manager in 32-bit mode

Create a blank UDL file (using Notepad) on the C: drive called "test.udl" & save it

Run the command below to open up the blank UDL

When the Blank UDL Opens up, go back to the "Provider" Tab & select the SalesLogix Provider·         Configure, Test & Save.·        

Move the UDL it to where it is needed (and rename if necessary) 

C:\Windows\syswow64\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll",OpenDSLFile C:\test.udl

Message Edited by MikeSpragg on 13-04-2010 09:05 PM
Message Edited by MikeSpragg on 13-04-2010 09:05 PM
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here are some screen shots.  This is all 32-bit.  The UDL displays ever connection.  The SQL Native Client 2008 is installed on the client machine.

The overall issue is I am unable to connect to the SLX Server from the client.  I am able to use the Administrator tool to connect.

Here are some screen shots on our web server of what is I have setup

http://www.wonderwaremidwest.com/images/client.png 

http://www.wonderwaremidwest.com/images/server.png

http://www.wonderwaremidwest.com/images/serverAdmin.png

If these settings are correct then my issue is someplace else...

Message Edited by jjbingen on 04-13-2010 01:19 PM
Silver Super Contributor

None of this is wrong.

1) **Data Link Manager** [SalesLogix.exe, Admin.exe etc] only ever shows the SLX Provider - the client doesn't need to know (and cannot be configured either) the connection manager details as it talks to it internally via the connection defined to it. This points to what is defined in (2) below.

2) **SalesLogix Connection Manager** [SalesLogix Server] only ever shows the Native Client - this is how it talks to SQL Server - and that's all it needs to know about.

3) **Data Link Manager (on the client/server) - is configured to point at (2) above.

Regards
Mike

PS Are you anything to do with SolutionsPT in the UK ??
Copper Super Contributor

Okay well then my issue must be someplace else...

Environment:

HyperV: 2008 Server 2008 R2 64-bit

Server: 2008 Standard 32-bit

Client: XP 32-bit 

Attempted to turn off firewall on both the server host and VM and this made no difference. 

Network discovery on HyperV is turned off but I can still browser the network.  VM on HyperV is set to custom: can browse the network. Default port is 1706.

I also setup a Windows XP VM on my client machine (XP box) where I did a clean install of Windows XP.  Installed SalesLogix, updated both SP1 and SP2.  It is unable complete the entail startup wizard 'Database Connection Assistant'> 'No Sales Logix Servers Found.'  The VM has proper network settings.

I can ping from HyperV and ServerVM by both name and IP from the client.  

It appears overall like the client simply can not see the SLX Server.   So why can the client not see the SLX server?

Anything else I can check/configure?  Ports not open on SQL?  Network discovery settings incorrect?

Thanks for your help this far.

Silver Super Contributor

Your HyperV has nothing to do with this - it's simply a shell to what should be a proper functioning server (e.g. the 2008 server).
If you can telnet to port 1706 from the client to server then no firewall is in the way.

I don't know what else to suggest - but if you're willing to do a G2M then I'd suggest this - otherwise, you should call into Support and have them do it. It could be a million and 1 things - but suspect it's something very simple (it usually is) and a G2M would be quickest way all round to be able to see the issue first hand.

Regards
Mike
Copper Super Contributor

I am not able to telnet to our current SLX Server 7.0 or to the new one 7.5 from the client... I am unsure of what this means.

Yes I would be interested in G2M whatever works for you.  (My day is nearly over today)  Email is: jacob.bingen@wonderwaremidwest.com

Thanks again Mike for your assitance not only with this forumn but also the last one.

Silver Super Contributor

Unfortunately, I'm off on a site visit for next 3 days - and lack of suitable comms means I won't be able to assist. If you've not solved the issue by Monday - let me know - but i'm hoping some others here can step into help ! Sorry, unusual to be out so long but $ must !