Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted

Migrating SalesLogix to a new server

Our aging Win2003/SQL2005 SalesLogix server is starting to act flakey and we've determined it would be best to migrate to a new Win2008R2/SQL2008R2 server.  We have a lot of connection strings that reference the existing server, so my boss was wondering if we could simply give the server the same name.  When the time comes, we would:

• take a database backup
  • take the old server offline
  • bring the new server online
  • Restore from backup

Could it be this simple?  Would we even have to update the client connections?  Anybody have experience doing a similar migration?

We are running the LAN Client v7.5.4

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Migrating SalesLogix to a new server

That is absolutely the best way ! If you can keep the server name the same then you reduce the impact enormously. I've done this many times and, to the users, they notice no difference (except less flakiness and speed improvements!).

The only thing I would say is no need to take server off-line - just rename it. Then it's available to copy stuff from etc.

It really is that simple.

The only addition to that is that, at any time previously to the changeover - ensure you send to the users the SQL Native Client for SQL2008R2. They will need this for connection. You can send this out as an update, or simply get users to double-click on the msi. It installs simply and doesn't conflict with what you have,

Good luck!

[ Edited ]

Thanks...that sounds like a plan.

Silver Super Contributor

The issue with SQL was resolved sometime ago, you just rename server and it picks it up on reboot. No need to play with system tables etc.