Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager pop-up

We are in the middle of testing a migration from 7.5 LAN desktop to 8.1 web.

We have noticed in our testing that the new Desktop Manager "Options" dialog pops up every time we log in on some computers (from a full log off), but not on all... No setting needs to be changed, you simply have to press OK to dismiss it, but it is annoying.

Is this normal behaviour? Is there any way to stop this? It does not do it on my Win 7 desktop, but it does on at least two others .

Re: Desktop Manager pop-up

Can any other users confirm whether their Desktop Manager always pops-up on login?
I want to know if that is "normal" and we just have to suck it up,
or indicative of something that we can hope to fix...
Employee

Hi,

The Desktop Manager is installed in the Startup group by default, which causes it to launch when Windows is restarted. The behavior can be removed by deleting the "Saleslogix Desktop Manager" shortcut in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for the reply
However, it is not that I do not want it to start, I do.
But when it starts on some computers, the "Options" dialog pops-up every time (but not on mine). I want it to just load minimized to the task tray.
Employee

Ok, the dailog will always display on start up if either the Portal URL or the User is undefined.

Thanks

Mike

Aah, OK. Let me test that...
So, even with Windows Authentication checked, you need to first enter your username prior to checking it (as it greys out username when you check it).

[ Edited ]

OK, some quick testing and its still kinda not working, but there isa registry hack that fixes it...

Using the dialog, if you check "Use Windows Authentication", it nulls out the username and password box and greys them out.
Then it prompts every time you start it.
Using the dialog, if you UNcheck "Use Windows Authentication", and enter your Windows username and password it no longer prompts every time you start it. But this is not good as it is a password that needs to change when your Windows password changes. Blech.

BUT
If you exit Desktop Manager, run regedit, go to HKCU\Software\SalesLogix\Outlook and manually enter "SDataUserName" with the windows username AND set UseWindowsAuthentication to 1
it works! Run the DesktopManager and it no longer prompts for settings...
If you right click on the tasktray icon and click "Open" the settings dialog appears and Windows Auth is checked and the username is entered in the greyed out Username field.
Hacky, but it works.
Now I need to work out how to automate setting that on all my users' desktops.

Employee

Yes, it looks like when Windows Auth is checked that the SDataUserName stored in the registry is blanked out.

The issue appears to be fixed in: SLX - 8.1 Web Model 03 (I'm not sure when this will be released).

Workaround:

I ran a quick test and you can close SlxDesktopManager.exe and then edit the registry by adding in a User and when Desktop Manager restarts it will minimize as expected; I don't have Windows Auth configured so I'm not sure if it affects authentication when having both Windows Auth checked and the User defined.

The registry location is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SalesLogix\Outlook

The value to modify is:

SDataUserName

Thanks

Mike

Employee

Ah, I see you found a workaround at the same time I did. Kudos.

Thanks

Mike

Highlighted

Haha! Yes, I beat you to the solution! But thanks for the help all the same Smiley Happy
At least I can confirm that (y)our solution DOES work when you have Windows auth configured.