Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Accepted Solution

Desktop Enhancements 401 (ish) under 8.1

We have a clean 8.1 install but the Desktop Integration is failing with a 401 Unauthorsied error (similar error to the other thread on hear, but we've checked Authentication and all fine), if you actually fire the sdata/slx/gcrm/-/$service/registerClient url into a browser, authenticate as the user, the error message we get is;

<sdata&colon;diagnosis>
<sdata&colon;severity>error</sdata&colon;severity>
<sdata&colon;sdataCode>ResourceKindNotFound</sdata&colon;sdataCode>
<sdata&colon;applicationCode>
source=SDataExceptionDiagnoses; exceptionKind=BaseException; exceptionSource=Sage.Integration.Server; exceptionType=Sage.Common.Syndication.DiagnosesException; slxErrorId=SLX8B0C577F98155392
</sdata&colon;applicationCode>
<sdata&colon;message>
We're sorry, you've encountered an error. If applicable, please try again.
</sdata&colon;message>
<sdata&colon;stackTrace/>
<sdata&colon;payloadPath/>
</sdata&colon;diagnosis>
</sdata&colon;diagnoses>

This is on a Server 2012 install under IIS7 so very literal to configure or deploy.  Admin is mapped to the WebDLL user etc, and other sdata stuff is working, mobile client, etc, etc.  To further confuse we have the Eval Database deployed on 3334, pointing the same Desktop Integration client at the Eval sdata deployment works fine.

Am clutching at straws here, and only route I can think of is to zap the entire sdata folder and redeploy (I've already redeployed over the top).

Help!

Re: Desktop Enhancements 401 (ish) under 8.1

A little more meat (removing sdata portal had no effect), server side error is;

2014-01-15 12:54:15,457 [42] WARN Sage.SalesLogix.Web.SLXWebBasicAuthenticationModule - Unable to authenticate user 'admin'
{
"date": "2014-01-15T12:54:15",
"utc": "2014-01-15T12:54:15",
"stackTrace": " at Sage.Platform.Diagnostics.ErrorHelper.LogEvent(ILog log, EventLogEntryType entryType, String message, UInt16 eventId, Exception exception, Boolean debug)\r\n at Sage.SalesLogix.Web.SLXWebBasicAuthenticationModule.AcceptCredentials(HttpApplication application, UserInformation information, IDictionary`2 authValues)\r\n at Sage.Integration.Web.BaseAuthenticationModule.OnAuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)\r\n at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()\r\n at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)\r\n at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)\r\n at System.Web.HttpApplication.BeginProcessRequestNotification(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb)\r\n at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context)\r\n at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)\r\n at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)\r\n at System.Web.Hosting.UnsafeIISMethods.MgdIndicateCompletion(IntPtr pHandler, RequestNotificationStatus& notificationStatus)\r\n at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)\r\n at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)\r\n",
"hashCode": "C06BDD2C-F9CF4FC3-433E1775",
"pid": 4504,
"identity": {
"name": "",
"isAuthenticated": false,
"authenticationType": ""
},
"version": "8.1.0.1146",
"logger": {
"level": "WARN",
"location": "?",
"name": "Sage.SalesLogix.Web.SLXWebBasicAuthenticationModule",
"message": "Unable to authenticate user 'admin'"
},
"request": {
"looksLikeAjax": false,
"isLocal": false,
"method": "POST",
"url": "http://INSERTHOSTNAMEHERE!:3333/sdata/slx/gcrm/-/$service/registerClient",
"referrer": "",
"ipAddress": "192.168.0.144",
"userAgent": "Sage",
"userLanguages": ""
},
"browser": {
"type": "Unknown",
"name": "Unknown",
"version": "0.0",
"majorVersion": 0,
"minorVersion": 0.0,
"platform": "Unknown"
},
"server": {
"host": {
"siteName": "Saleslogix",
"applicationId": "/LM/W3SVC/3/ROOT/sdata",
"applicationPhysicalPath": "C:\\inetpub\\saleslogix\\sdata\\",
"applicationVirtualPath": "/sdata"
}
}
}

Sorry to keep replying to my own post but hoping to prod someone into a genius moment!

Looking at the IIS logs (Note that port 3333 and 443 are bound to the same site so the same sdata portal below), what's confusing me is when the Outlook Connector (which works) connects I see something like;

014-01-15 07:18:39 192.168.0.36 POST /sdata/slx/gcrm/-/$service/registerClient - 443 - 192.168.0.144 Saleslogix+Outlook+Connector+WinHTTP+Agent/1.0 - 401 0 0 3
2014-01-15 07:18:39 192.168.0.36 POST /sdata/slx/gcrm/-/$service/registerClient - 443 andy 192.168.0.144 Saleslogix+Outlook+Connector+WinHTTP+Agent/1.0 - 201 0 0 573

So a 401 at first, then an immediate retry with my username which authenticates, and I assume a 'session' as such is created.  tey for the Desktop Manager I see;

2014-01-15 08:46:03 192.168.0.36 POST /sdata/slx/gcrm/-/$service/registerClient - 3333 - 192.168.0.48 Sage - 401 0 0 1
2014-01-15 08:46:03 192.168.0.36 POST /sdata/slx/gcrm/-/$service/registerClient - 3333 - 192.168.0.48 Sage - 401 0 0 661

As if the Client is not sending the username / password combo on the second attempt - or is that just because I'm clicking 'test' in the Desktop Manager settgings as opposed to a real session and it interacts differantly?

Conversley, on the Eval Deployment, same client, I get;

2014-01-15 07:41:40 192.168.0.36 POST /sdata/slx/gcrm/-/$service/registerClient - 3334 - 192.168.0.144 Sage - 401 0 0 1757
2014-01-15 07:41:49 192.168.0.36 POST /sdata/slx/gcrm/-/$service/registerClient - 3334 admin 192.168.0.144 Sage - 201 0 0 9257

So the Test button has sent the user in the second request - am beyond confused! 

Employee

Andy,

Just to make sure I am clear on a few things:

1. You have the site deployed for your database

2.  From Desktop manager you are failing to test connect (401 error)

3.  From within Outlook you are able to test the connection and it works correctly?

4.  If you restore an eval database and build/deploy to another site (or portal) this one works correctly.

The error would indicate an authentication issue.  Possibly with how Windows authentication is configured. 

Are you using Windows Authentication?

Do you have the admin user mapped to a network user?  Is the user andy also mapped?

You stated you deleted the portal and redeployed.  Did you delete the portal in IIS and also from the drive, then redeploy?  You might try comparing the site/portal settings between the one that is working and not working.

I will investigate further on my end as well with the errors you have provided.

Thank you

Loretta Carroll
QA Engineer

Hi, Thanks for replying, and yes your 4 points were correct.  No we're not using Windows Authentication, and yes the WebDLL user is mapped to the Admind user (also set as the Application Pool Identity etc, etc). And Yes I delete the portal entirely in IIS and redeployed.

When I compared the two sdata folders the file count was the same, but a slight difference in file size.  I agree that authentication behind the scenes seems the obvious answer, but for all intents and purposes that sdata portal works for all other functions, it's an odd one :-/

Nickel Contributor

Did you make any headway on this issue? I am experiencing the exact same issue.

Thanks ~ Chad

Chad Morton

No, none as yet.  I have an open ticket with support and they've suggested a few things, but heard no more in the last week :-/

Tuned Listener

Any updates? I have a very similar issue with my first 8.1 upgrade. Outlook Sync works, web client works, etc.. But Desktop Integration giving 401!
Nickel Contributor

One thing that i've noticed is that the integration works regardless of the what the test results are, provided you've entered good credentials. The other thing that i've noticed is that the application event log always reports that the 'admin' credential could not be authenticated regardless of what credential is stored in the desktop manager config. This may be the reason that the OP was able to authenticate against an eval copy, but not against a db that has an admin password set. Almost as though the test button is not consuming the credentials provided...just a thought.
Chad Morton

I love simple solutions, but that's ridiculous - fixed, in working terms, basically the Test button doesn't work anywhere near as expected.  Type in the correct details, click OK, and *actually* test and it works a treat, ridiculous!