Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Contributor

Database login failed: TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

I've resolved this issue, but it was tricky, so thought I would mention the behavior we observed.

Using Saleslogix 7.5.1, we began getting this error on one of our Windows 2008 R2 servers this week, with no apparent changes to the system. This error affected any client attempting to connect to Saleslogix (Slx client, Administrator, 3rd party apps). Other SLX installations on other computers were working fine. There had been no changes to firewalls, SQL client configurations, etc.

One unusual item about our setup is that our DB server hosts many SQL  instances, all of which run on port 1433. This is made possible by assigning a unique IP address for each SQL instance. It turns out the problem was that in Connection Manager, the previous configuration for the instance ( SERVER\INSTANCE) was no longer working for some reason. I changed the instance to it's associated IP address and all was well.

I still don't know what happened on the back-end to make what was formerly working suddenly break, possibly some kind of DNS change was made by someone, but if I find out, I will update this post.

Dan

Gold Super Contributor

Re: Database login failed: TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Was it possible the server was on a DHCP address and NOT a fixed IP?

Salelogix  & SQL systems (servers) MUST be on a fixed IP ;-)

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Database login failed: TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

It was a fixed IP for the SQL Server instance if that's what you are referring to. As I mentioned, all other SLX client installations were working fine, so it was only this one box that was suddenly having an issue with the instance name in Connection Manager. I recall a while back trying to RDP into a server and got an error that it didn't exist, yet I could remote in via the IP address. One of our networking guys fixed the issue, and this kind of felt like that kind of problem, unfortunately he was gone for the day, so I couldn't ask him to check it out, but will follow up with him tomorrow.

Dan