Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Bronze Elite Contributor

Database Collation

Hi All,

I have an issue whereby new remote databases being created have the database collation of Latin1_General_CI_AS but, the host database collation is set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

So when I update a column in an existing table on the host database and sync it out the remote users there is a collation conflict. To get round this I have manually updated all remote users database collation to match the host SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS - However, everytime a cut a new remote database it still sets the collation to  Latin1_General_CI_AS

How do you set the host server so that new remote databases match the host database collation? We have set the model db to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS but this has made no difference.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Regards, Adam Travers
empath-e Services Limited
Silver Contributor

Re: Database Collation

You would have to set it for the server in the server properties.

But this may have effects on other dbs.

So what I do is change the collation on the remote client after I attached the db using a cmd file and creating a data source link.

Then the client db has the same collation as the slx db and everything is fine.

I have suggested a few times that Sage sets the collation as part of the remote creation process. But so far no chnage!

Alexander

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Alexander,

Good to hear from you!

Unfortunately, our customer is running about 8 other databases on the same server instance, so Im unable to update the collation at server level.

I have installed SQL Management studio on all remote machines so that I can simply right mouse click on the database and update the collation. However, one machine running SQL Express 2008 R2 returns errors in SLX when I do this, all other machines running SQL Express 2005 work fine. I have decided to install the SalesLogix Administrator on that machine and cut the remote database from that instance in the hope it resolves the error(s).

Im still slightly baffled as to how the issue has just come about after updating the system for several years Smiley Sad

Many thanks for your response.

Have a good weekend!

Regards, Adam Travers
Gold Super Contributor

Actually.. this issue came up in the "old" Partner NG's many years ago. We had an extensive discussion on it an the recommendation from the partner community was to ask SalesLogix to add a "Change Collation to: (select collation here)" picklist to the cut remote gui.... it obviously never happened.

Go  to the Newsgroup Archive (in the Partner side of the community) and search for Collation - I got at least a 100 hits.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi RJ,

I know, like you Im "SLX old skool" we had the issue with several sites on v6.2 many years ago- Ive never had it since which was why I fell off my chair when the error was reported recently.

Thanks for the info, I will check out the NG

Regards, Adam Travers
Employee

Add it to IdeaLogix too!  Smiley Wink