Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

Contact Details Startup Error: OBJECT expected on line 1 following Microsoft patches

Recently Microsoft released security patches which have now disabled our SalesLogix Contact Details view from loading.  An error of Startup error: OBJECT expected on line 1 is now displayed at startup.  Account Details, Activities, Calendar, Library and Reports all load fine.  Contact Details will NOT display under any circumstances.  This now happens for any NEW installations or old installations which are re-installed following an uninstall.  SP1 and SP2 behave equally bad.

We have spent a day with 3 people working on this problem and we have not had any luck.  We have 70 users on a Terminal Server who are now completely shutdown because of this! 

Jeffrey Butzow
Assistant Vice President - Business Information Systems
Inland Securities Corporation
SalesLogix v7.2.1
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Contact Details Startup Error: OBJECT expected on line 1 following Microsoft patches

Jeffrey

It's highly unlilkely this is a MS security issue (we also use TermServer and aren't seeing this) - all my clients (who also subscribe to MS Updates) aren't seeing it either.

Object expected - this normally means a particular dll/ocx that's being called upon has been de-registered. You could use a dependency walker to find that.

Also, it could be something customised for your site that also relies on a 3rd party component (like Satori software for example).

The first thing to do is de-release your contact details form and re-release the out of box version - does that have the same issue ?

Next - check the OnChange/OnOpen events - what's going on in there ?

Does SLXProfiler show anything special

Other than that - could be a multitude of other things that only a "live" on-site check could resolve,

Regards

Mike

PS Let me know if you'd like me to take a look remotely.

Re: Contact Details Startup Error: OBJECT expected on line 1 following Microsoft patches

Thanks for the help Mike but nothing is helping!  Spent 4 hours on my laptop today and affected Terminal Server and believe this must be something Active Directory or domain profile related.  One of my developers tried a fresh Windows XP virtual machine install outside of the domain and that WORKS.  He used to work and now its erroring on Contact Details.  In fact ALL of our developers got this error recently as 3 days ago following no changes on their code or logic with the exception of Microsofts wonderful Tuesday patches.  We have not been the same since then.

I tried the following:

1. Completely uninstalled SalesLogix from my laptop including removal of ALL registry entries MANUALLY
  2. Completely rolled back ALL April 2009 Microsoft patches across all the applications.
  3. Reinstalled 7.2 Client only from scratch.  Reboot.  Reinstall SP 1 so I am back at my 7.2.1 version. Reboot.
  4. Run the client and getting the exact same error when the Contact Details view loads (and ONLY that view).  Application Architect, Workgroup Admin and ALL other views load fine.
  5. Same was performed on the Terminal Server (complete removal, reinstall and rollback of patches) and the same outcome (OBJECT Line 1 error on loading Contact Details).

Tried using SLXProfiler, Microsofts Dependency walker, etc. to ascertain what is loading when the Contact Details is loading.  Nothing obvious or easily traceable.  Being that this has happend in the past week, and NOTHING has changed since then, I believe this is network policy or Microsoft's issue with some patch recently applied.

Existing installations of 7.2.1 are FINE so long as you don't uninstall SalesLogix.  Once that is done, you cannot get it to run again (or atleast load the Contact Details screen).

Additionally, nothing is loading in the Open, Create sections of code and nothing has been added to this view.  As an aside, the generic Contact Details that came with SalesLogix WILL NOT WORK either!

This is far and away the strangest problem I have seen in my 15 years in IT.  I believe something was altered at the Active Directory/Domain level by some Microsoft patch which renders systems "damaged" in some way so they cannot load what is needed for the Contact Details view.  Why is it just the Client and this view?  All others are fine?  That's what is really bugging me.

Jeffrey Butzow
SalesLogix v7.2.1
Silver Super Contributor

Hmm, that does sound odd ! What OS are you using (Win2003 presume?)
Silver Super Contributor

Well, I just took an old VMWare image with 7.2.1 on and Win 2003 R2 and updated it to everything that could be downloaded (the only thing not downloaded was Search v4.0). But, it's as patched as it can be - and SLX still works for me. Sorry, but it does look as if it's just your site as I would have expected others to be posting by now that they also have the same issue.

Not sure where to go from here - is there anything else running (AV's, IE - still running v7 ??) that you can think of that may affect it ?

Silver Super Contributor

Also, can you report back with a full listing of OS versions, SLX versions (7.2.1.xxxx) and SQL Versions. Anything else you think may help !
Copper Contributor

I would check the releases on the include scripts for contact detail, you could have released an old version.

Thought about that - re-released all Include Scripts and no differences.  Only ones we use are the standards from Sage.  Only one version and others CAN load the view so that's what's even more strange.  Only certain users in the domain (Terminal Services users) cannot access as of last week!
Jeffrey Butzow
SalesLogix v7.2.1

Mike

Thanks for you help.  We have the following structure and versions:

SalesLogix database and server on a VMware server (on this for 6 months prior with no problems):  

- SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition 9.00.1406.00

- SalesLogix 7.2.1.1672 Client (which runs fine locally on the SQL/SalesLogix server

160 SalesLogix 7.2.1.1672 Clients

90+ on internal network domain connecting to the same server above (Clients work)

70 external clients running SalesLogix on Terminal Server 2003 SP2 Remote Desktops (Clients error)

My developers and myself also have Terminal Services accounts, AND cannot connect as we get the errors posted.  I really believe somehow has changed something on domain permissions and its messed up anyone with that Terminal Server in there profiles.  Waiting for my networking/Active Directory guys to get in to interrogate them!

Jeffrey Butzow
SalesLogix v7.2.1